The AFM Local 47 Executive Board has established an Emergency Relief Fund for members who have lost revenue due to work stoppages resulting from the coronavirus COVID-19 emergency.
The Local 47 COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund will be able to extend a limited amount of grants for members who work for employers covered by a Live Performance or Electronic Media Local 47 contract or CBA. Members in need may submit an application for up to two service sets lost, in the amount of $75 per service set, for a maximum total of $150. (The two service sets may be from the same employer or from different employers.)
A “service set” is a set of performances/rehearsals for one full run of a concert or show. For example, if a musician gets contracted to play for “The Sound of Music” on at the Pantages and is scheduled for 2 rehearsals and 3 separate performances, that counts as one “service set.”
While it is the Local’s wish to help all of our members who are in immediate need as a result of job cancellations from signatory employers, we must emphasize that the funds set aside for this purpose are limited. We therefore urge only musicians who are suffering hardship at this time to apply. If a grant will help you, please contact us.
The Music Fund of Los Angeles has also set up an Emergency Relief Fund in the amount of $75 per service set for a maximum of two grants totaling $150. This fund will be able to extend a limited amount of grants for members who work for employers covered by a Live Performance Local 47 contract or CBA.
CA Employment Development Department (EDD)
If you have experienced canceled work services or reduced hours —whether or not you are a W2 employee — or you need to stay at home with your children due to school closures relating to COVID-19, you may file a claim with the California EDD. Click here for full information to review your circumstances and how to apply for benefits.
- Reduced Work Hours: If your employer has reduced your hours or shut down operations due to COVID-19, you can file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim.
- Sick or Quarantined: If you’re unable to work due to having or being exposed to COVID-19 (certified by a medical professional), you can file a Disability Insurance (DI) claim. (Note: Gov. Newsom has waived the state’s one-week waiting period for filing a claim.)
- Caregiving: If you’re unable to work because you are caring for an ill or quarantined family member with COVID-19 (certified by a medical professional), you can file a Paid Family Leave (PFL) claim.
- Employers can apply for the Unemployment Insurance (UI) Work Sharing Program if reduced production, services, or other conditions cause them to seek an alternative to layoffs.
CA Labor Commissioner
The Labor Commissioner’s Office offers these guidelines relating to your options under state law regarding use of sick leave, vacation time, unpaid leave, etc.
American Federation of Musicians of the U.S. & Canada
The AFM’s Lester Petrillo Memorial Fund is a charitable trust that provides financial relief to members. Click here more information and to download an application. The AFM has also created a COVID-19 Resources page to assist members with the ongoing health situation. Please visit afm.org/covid-19 for links to information and resources, and continue to visit this page for updates.
The Actors Fund
A resource for everyone who works in the entertainment industry (not just actors), The Actors Fund is available to help musicians with emergency assistance for expenses like rent, utilities, doctor and dental bills, health premiums, etc. To schedule a complimentary intake with a social worker, please call 323.933.9244, ext. 455.
Labor Community Services
Labor Community Services offers several resources for union members in need, including access to food banks. Please visit thelafed.org/labor-community-services for more information and continued updates.
- Labor.ca.gov/coronavirus2019 (Includes links to benefits, safety, and enforcement)
- Department of Managed Healthcare – Coverage Options
- Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development resources
- The LA Fed update – information from our labor allies on resources available to union members
Please visit our full COVID-19 Resources page at afm47.org/covid19.