Relief options for musicians: unemployment, disability, paid family leave & more

CA Employment Development Department (EDD)

If you have experienced canceled work services or reduced hours —whether or not you are a W2 employee — or you need to stay at home with your children due to school closures relating to COVID-19, you may be able to file a claim with the California EDD. Click here for full information to review your circumstances and how to apply for benefits.

CA Labor Commissioner

The Labor Commissioner’s Office offers these guidelines relating to your options under state law regarding use of sick leave, vacation time, unpaid leave, etc. 

American Federation of Musicians of the U.S. & Canada

The AFM’s Lester Petrillo Memorial Fund is a charitable trust that provides financial relief to members. Click here more information and to download an application. The AFM has also created a COVID-19 Resources page to assist members with the ongoing health situation. Please visit for links to information and resources, and continue to visit this page for updates.

The Actors Fund

A resource for everyone who works in the entertainment industry (not just actors), The Actors Fund is available to help musicians  with emergency assistance for expenses like rent, utilities, doctor and dental bills, health premiums, etc. To schedule a complimentary intake with a social worker, please call 323.933.9244, ext. 455.

Labor Community Services

Labor Community Services offers several resources for union members in need, including access to food banks. Please visit for more information and continued updates. 

Additional Resources

Please visit our COVID-19 Resources page at